5 Home Updates To Do Before You Refinance
Posted on March 12, 2021
Refinancing can save you thousands of dollars in the long run, and the increase in your home’s equity can also mean a big payoff if you ever decide to sell in the future. Before you call your Loan officer to get started on your refinance, it may be a good idea to take inventory of your home and make a list of improvements or updates to do. The Appraisal is what determines how much your home is worth, and if making a few updates can increase that number, you’ll be better off.
- Give your garage a makeover: Declutter your storage space and consider installing cabinets or shelves for organization, expanding the structure to fit an additional car, or creating a dedicated workspace.
- Paint and declutter: A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for your home’s appearance. Consider painting your walls with neutral colors to make it more appealing to future buyers. Before you paint, take the opportunity to declutter the rooms in your house too. Having a “place” for everything can make your home seem bigger and feel tidier.
- Replace old carpet and flooring: Fresh carpet not only improves the appraisal value of your home but will also improve the air quality in your home. Moisture, dust, and dirt get trapped in your carpet’s fibers and after a while, just getting your carpets cleaned won’t be enough.
- Improve curb appeal: Mow your lawn, remove weeds from your flower beds, blow off dirt, leaves, and grass from your driveway and sidewalk, trim your bushes or hedges. Anything you can think of that helps give your home a tidy appearance, will help increase your home’s value.
- Unclog all drains and make sure water drains freely: Appraisers will check your water flow and drains in your home. Unclog them using a drain snake or a drain cleaner.
When it comes to home updates, don’t limit yourself to this list! Make your own list and tackle it months before you decide to refinance. The more improvements you do, the more money you can save in the long run. When you’re ready to refinance, we are ready to help.